The Columbus Chamber works diligently to create and foster a regional business climate in which entrepreneurship thrive. They serve as Columbus’ primary resource for business and entrepreneurial success by fostering a community for Business Growth, Talent Attraction and Retention, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation
The Mill is the center for entrepreneurship in Bloomington. It features 19,000 square feet of beautifully renovated, century-year-old factory space and is home to hundreds of members and dozens of companies. The Mill provides specialized entrepreneurial support for accelerating startups, pitching to investors, and securing capital.
Founded in 2011, Elevate Ventures believes that communities and regions across Indiana can achieve more when they make entrepreneurism part of their DNA. Elevate’s hybrid approach to business challenges is to be part venture capital fund, and part entrepreneurial partner, resulting in more successful outcomes.
Our mission is to accelerate and promote entrepreneurship and innovation in south-central Indiana
Our vision is to create a diverse and skilled ecosystem to support our startups and develop a sustainable entrepreneurial culture in our region
Entrepreneur In Residence
Director of Corporate Innovation + Entrepreneurship
Reports to: Entrepreneur-in-Residence
The primary purpose of the Director of Corporate Innovation is to create companies in the Velocities region. The secondary purpose is to support the startup ecosystem through events, mentorship, coaching, and other activities for entrepreneurs.
Velocities is a $2.5mm regional partnership with Elevate Ventures, Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce, and The Mill to foster entrepreneurship and innovation in this region.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- 40% business model innovation – work with existing businesses to identify new business models and innovations they could spin out; help them found/fund a skunkworks team housed at Propeller or The Mill
- 40% sprint week – business design process to validate ideas, conduct initial customer interviews, create the brand identity, and pair co-founders; ideas could come from Velocities staff, Columbus or Bloomington residents, or use IP from Cummins, Crane, IU, etc.
- 20% matchmaking – some startups have a great product person who is serving as a founder and CEO; they understand the technology, the customers, the pain points, etc.m but to make more material progress, they need a complementary co-founder who can act as CEO and head salesperson
This position requires residency in Columbus, Indiana, while working out of Columbus and Bloomington.
- Corporate innovation or business model innovation experience
- Or senior management/leadership role
- Founded and exited a company
- Experience serving on a board of directors or advisors
- Angel investing experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Project management
- Executive presence
- Build consensus
- Simplify ideas
- Execute vision
- Thrive in ambiguity
- Identify trends & opportunities
- Build rapport
- Connector, resourceful
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Annual salary is $70,000
- Paid twice monthly via direct deposit
- 3 weeks of PTO in year 1, 4 weeks in year 2 and beyond
- Health, life, vision, and dental insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Use of company MacBook Pro
- Performance reviews twice annually
- Opportunity for raises twice annually
- No bureaucracy – direct and regular contact with Velocities leadership
HOW TO APPLY
Email a cover letter and resume as PDFs to Pat East. This is your chance to describe why working for Velocities would be a great fit for you. Include the information below:
- A short bio / introduction
- Why this position interests you
- Why you love startups
- How you learned about Velocities and the position
Applicant review is ongoing, with a preference for candidates who apply by September 30.
Due to the expected number of applications, we cannot reply to every applicant. If you make it beyond the first round, though, you can expect regular communications from us.
Thank you for your interest in Velocities. Best of luck!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we have a standing policy of nondiscrimination. We respect the unique and diverse perspectives of all employees. We accord all qualified persons an equal opportunity for employment or promotion without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status or condition protected by federal, state, or local law.
Board of Directors
Cindy Frey | President of the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce
Pat East | Executive Director of The Mill
Rick Johnson | President and CEO of Johnson Ventures, Inc
David Glass | CEO of LHP Engineering Solutions
Jane Martin | Retired Venture Capitalist
Tom Guevara | Director of the Indiana University Public Policy Institute
Since the launch of the Velocities partnership in July 2019, our startups have received over $1.5M in investments. We’ve held monthly ecosystem events, connected entrepreneurs and stakeholders and coached entrepreneurs through pitching to investors. Will your startup be the company we help succeed next?